Child of God, you’re identity is now in Jesus. The Better Jonah.
Yes, we do see ourselves in Jonah… in his failures, in his shortcomings, and in his sin. And we see ourselves in Nineveh… in their wickedness and depravity.
But, child of God, ultimately, that is not who you are. Child of God, you’re identity is now in Jesus. The better Jonah.
Your identity is in Jesus, The Better Jonah, who goes and dies so that God might carry out His relentlessly merciful plan to save people from every tribe and every tongue and every nation.
Your identity is in Jesus, The Better Jonah:
- who didn’t run from the call of God, but for the joy set before Him said, not my will but yours be done.
- who didn’t fall asleep while those around him were perishing in the storm, but stayed awake in the Garden of Gethsemane and all the way to the cross.
- who didn’t spend three days, alive, entombed in a fish because of sins that were his own, but spent three days, dead, entombed in the ground, for the sins of others.
- who doesn’t simply proclaim the word of God, but literally is the Word of God.
- who’s atoning sacrifice makes it possible for God to redirect the punishment Nineveh deserved onto Himself on the cross.
- who isn’t drug to the city reluctantly, but sets His face to Jerusalem.
- who doesn’t brew over the city wishing for it’s demise, but weeps over the city, longing for its’ deepest good.
- who doesn’t go outside the city to wish for its’ destruction, but goes outside the city, carrying His cross, and dying to bring salvation.
- who goes and dies so that God might carry out His relentlessly merciful plan to save people from every tribe and every tongue and every nation.
In what other ways do we see Jesus as The Better Jonah?