Carolyn McCulley, author of Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye and Radical Womanhood, has written a very helpful post over at the Desiring God blog. McCulley, herself single, offers several ways in which a local church can minister to the unmarried guys and gals in the congregation. Some of her tips include:
- Remember: Marriage is not the ultimate prize; relationship with the Savior is
- Scripture’s emphasis is on being made a man or a woman in the image of God, with a secondary emphasis on how that looks in the various roles and seasons of life
- Single adults are not the church’s “workhorses”
- Understand the challenges of endless opportunity
- Single men trust God by risking rejection; single women trust God by waiting on Him
- Don’t be afraid to challenge bitterness; deferred hopes cannot be allowed to corrode our thankfulness for the gift of salvation
Read the entire article here. And let’s bump up our game in ministering to each other at Crew–including our singles. Let’s be attentive and inviting; let’s value their contribution and be vocal in our appreciation of them. Each lifestyle has its own unique challenges; let’s serve them in a way that honors the Lord Jesus!