In the afternoon session we talked about using a handful of tools that would help us gain perspective when planning strategy for our churches.
Here are 3 of them:
1. Turning Points
- The leaders shoot out the God moments
- Tell the story of the church or ministry
- Put it up on a big stick it note and see it as a timeline
- Don’t rush it, let it take time
- What you’re doing is gaining perspective and where you’ve been together
- This lasts about 2 hours
2. Four Helpful Lists
- Four Questions to See Where We Think We Are
- What’s Right?
- What’s Wrong?
- What’s Confusing?
- What’s Missing?
- You’re attracted to the What’s Wrong first, but don’t go there
- Don’t try and fix or defend. We’re just dreaming
- The beauty of all of this is that everyone sees it together
- Do this for kids vols meeting
3. Opportunity Mapping
- Allows us to celebrate the present and dream about the future
- Four Questions
- Sensing: What do we sense God is calling us to do?
- Seizing: What opportunities are begging to take?
- Building: Which opportunities are normal part of our church?
- Reaping: Which opportunities are gaining wins?
- Churches that are plateaued or declining don’t have much in the sensing