Psalm 24 was preached to show how we can live life with the Psalmist.
• The Psalms don’t just talk about what we do when we gather, they instruct us how to live.
• The Psalms show us what a relationship with God looks like.
What Must We Do To Live Like A Psalmist?
1. Acknowledge God’s Sovereignty (24:1-2)
• God owns everything because he made everything. (cf. Ps. 33:8-9)
• When we live in the world, we are living in a world that God owns.
• When we watch the news full of war, elections, natural disasters it is reporting of what is going on in God’s world.
• When we study meteorology, medicine, astronomy, etc we are discovering things about God’s creation.
• Is God only sovereign when things are going right or is he sovereign all the time?
• Living like a psalmist is to live with the knowledge that God is in charge of everything.
2. Pursue God’s Holiness (24:3-6)
• Verse 3 is describing the place of God’s presence in Jerusalem.
• The Psalmists want to be close to God, not far off. “How can I be close to God?”
• Verse 4 describes those worthy to be close to God
- They have clean hands. Our actions are right. (Our Deeds)
- They have a pure heart. Not only our actions but our motives and intentions. (Our Motives)
- They don’t love and desire other things more than God (Our Thoughts)
- They don’t lie (Our Words)
• That ain’t me (Perry Paraphrase). Where am I to get this righteousness and closeness to God?
• The answer is in verses 5-6. The blessing and righteousness that we so need comes from God. It comes to us as we come to God.
• My Side Note: We know through Jesus his death that only by faith in Jesus can we receive God’s righteousness. The face of God is Jesus (John 1:18). He alone has clean hands, pure heart, untainted affection for God, and truthfulness.
3. Keep Our Eyes on the King of Glory
• Gates are metaphorically lifting up their heads to see the King of Glory who is coming back as a victorious warrior. (cf. Matt. 21:9)
• He has obtained victory, blessing, and righteousness for his people
• Jesus is the full revelation of the King of Glory here in Psalm 24