Another great round of songs that were written by the group running the conference. All of the songs were from an album called Lu. So knock yourself out getting that. Very good.
Another thing that happened, and they’ve done twice now, is have a dramatic reading of a Psalm. This 2nd time was extremely well done. It was a memorized monologue of Psalm 22. A Lament to God. Anyone had any experience with that? I’d be interested in talking with you and perhaps putting it into our worship gatherings sometime.
The speaker tonight was Mark Dever, pastor of Capital Hill Baptist Church, and founder of 9 marks ministries. His topic is Jesus in the Psalms. Here’s my notes.
We’re looking at 3 Psalms. The first is Psalm 22. He outlined it for us.
• In verses 1-2, he sees God nowhere in his experience.
• Even though that’s true he reminds himself of God’s work for his ancestors in verses 3-5.
• Then he’s back to focusing on his situation in verse 6-8
• Then he reminds himself of God’s work in his life in verses 9-11
• In verses 12-18, it’s back to his suffering
• He prays in for help in verses 19-21.
• Then faith comes in verse 22 and he praises God all the way to the end of the Psalm.
Where is Jesus is in this Psalm? Or any Psalm for that matter.? There are two errors concerning Christ in the Psalms.
1. Jesus is nowhere to be found.
2. Jesus is the only thing to be learned from the Psalms and if you bring out anything else then you aren’t Christ centered
3 Things to Realize In Order to Find Christ in the Psalms
1. The Bible is about one message: The cross of Christ
2. Jesus taught that the Old Testament is about Him (Luke 24:24-27, 44)
3. We find some Psalms applied to Jesus in the New Testament. So we can use what we do know to apply it to some things that we don’t know.
Now, we’re moving to Psalm 78.
• Matthew applies verse 2 to Jesus teaching.
• John 6 applies verse 24 to Jesus claim to be bread of life
1. So first you have to understand the psalm as it was originally written.
2. We have to understand that Christ is the fulfillment of the OT
Now on to Psalm 1.
He closed by recommending books:
Best 3 Books on How To Read the Psalms
- How to Read the Psalms (Tremper Longman)
- Preaching Christ from the Old Testament (Sydney Griedanius)
- The Messiah and The Psalms (Richard Belcher)target=blank
And Good night sweetheart